Baidyanath Sphatika bhasma is used in powder form to treat pitta and vata dosha-related disorders such as numerous bleeding disorders, leucoderma, herpes, respiratory diseases, bleeding piles, and constipation. It is also known as Tuvari, Kankshi, or Phataki. It is a hemostatic, anti-inflammatory blood purifier and with astringent action also serves as a vasoconstrictor. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it can also be used to treat tonsillitis, pharyngitis, stomatitis, and laryngitis. Sphatika bhasma acts as a bleaching agent and antiseptic, that aids in sustaining the breeding of bacteria by eroding the coating formed by infection.
Benefits & Uses
Sphatika is an important astringent, hemostatic, and antiseptic according to Ayurveda. It has anti-inflammatory, antipyretic and antibiotic properties, with the following health benefits;
- Used to cease bleeding in case of bleeding piles with its hemostatic activity and acts as a blood purifier.
- Its astringent property helps reduce bleeding from minor wounds and also aids in skin contracting and the closure of wound openings.
- Improves the wound infection in piles.
- Aids to shrink cells and reduce bacterial growth on the skin, making it useful for reducing acne lesions and pigmentation marks.
- It is useful in abnormal bleeding from the uterus.
- Owing to its high curing activity, the topical treatment is useful for mouth ulcers. It has astringent and hemostatic effects, so it facilitates tissue contracting and reduces wound size
- It is quite effective in respiratory complications like cough, bronchitis, pneumonia, chronic coughing, whooping cough and asthma.
- It is used to cure gynecological issues like leukorrhea and vaginal itching etc.
- It is an effective remedy for teeth and gums related problems as it prevents tooth decay and also controls bleeding gums because of its astringent property.
How To Use & Dosage
The recommended dose is 250-500 mg, one or two times daily, before or after food, or as advised by an Ayurvedic doctor.
- Mix 3gm bhasma in 5 to 6 Ltr of warm water and sit for 20 to 25 minutes. Use a sitz bathtub for shrinking the pile lump size and reducing infection.
- Take a pinch of Sphatika Bhasma mixed with honey and apply over the mouth ulcer on the tongue, lips, inside the cheeks, inside the bottom lip, or on the gums for quick healing.
- Take 1-2 pinch of Sphatika bhasma mixed with a tsp of honey twice a day after taking meals to treat whooping cough.
- Take 125 mg of Sphatika Bhasma mixed with honey to treat heavy bleeding during menses.
- Mix 125-250 mg of Sphatika Powder with coconut oil and apply over the bleeding cuts for quick healing.
- Use it as a wound wash by adding 2-3 pinch to lukewarm water. Wash the wounds with Sphatika water followed by plain water 2-3 times a day.
Do not exceed the stated recommended daily dose.
The standard dosage is 250-500 mg with honey or hot water or as advised by the physician.